Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Eating like a King from the Wastefulness of North American University Students

The last couple days have been surreal.  Yesterday I read a National Geographic Article about the amount of food wasted each year in North America which was stunning.  I also realized at lunch that day that one didn't need to actually pay for quality food at all.  All one has to do to eat like a king is to go to the local University vegetarian restaurant and just eat what others throw away.  Its really bizarre.  Within 45 minutes I had eaten 5 plate loads of quality vegetarian foods, stir fries, marinated tofu, Italian pasta, salads, falafels all free.  At the end I literally felt sick because my stomach was so full of all this good food. It was so bizarre.  The students buy whole plates of this stuff probably 5$ a plate, (because its subsidized for them), they take only a few mouthfuls, or eat a quarter to 50% of what's on the plate and throw the rest out!  I couldn't believe it as I watched them do this.

After discovering this yesterday I did the same thing today.  I walked in, and found plate loads of food.  One girl in front of me put a full bowl of salad she hadn't eaten at all and put it in the throw out pile, as soon as she put it in, my hand went right in and took it out right after.  She looked at me like a stunned doe in the headlights.  I just walked out with a Cheshire Cat grin on my face with two plate loads of free food.  So much for the stereotype of the starving students...

No comments:

Post a Comment